Crochet Spats Leg Warmers: The Victorian Accessory You Can Wear Today

Cozy fall outfit with handmade crochet leg warmers, white tights, ankle boots, and knit cardigan by a frosty window. Hygge lifestyle photography.
 Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products I genuinely love and use myself. Dowager Faux Spats Leg Warmers.Thank you for supporting Wool & Hook! ๐Ÿ’›

Hey there, fellow yarn addicts! Let me tell you a story. Last October I was scrolling through a vintage clothing shop downtown when I spotted something that made me stop dead in my tracks — a pair of ivory crochet spats draped over a mannequin's boots. They had lace trim, pearl buttons, and this impossible combination of elegance and coziness that I couldn't shake from my mind.

I didn't buy them. They were $85 and I'm a "I'll just make it myself" kind of person. So I went home, dug through my yarn stash, and spent the next three evenings figuring out how to recreate that magic. And honestly? The handmade version turned out even better.
That's how I fell down the rabbit hole of crochet spats and leg warmers — an accessory that's somehow both deeply historical and weirdly perfect for 2026.

Wait, What Even Are Spats?

If you're picturing something your great-grandfather wore with a three-piece suit, you're not wrong. Spats (short for "spatterdashes") started as practical footwear covers in the 1800s — designed to keep mud and rain off your fancy shoes. By the Victorian era, they'd evolved into a full-blown fashion statement. Think Sherlock Holmes. Think gentlemen in top hats clicking canes on cobblestone streets.
But here's the thing nobody talks about: spats weren't just for men. Victorian and Edwardian women wore their own versions — often crocheted or knitted, trimmed with lace, fastened with delicate buttons. They peeked out from beneath long skirts, adding a flash of texture and craftsmanship to otherwise restrained outfits.
Fast forward to today, and spats have done something fascinating. They've split into two parallel universes: the steampunk/Victorian cosplay world (where they're still called spats and worn with bustles and goggles) and the everyday fashion world (where they've morphed into boot cuffs, leg warmers, and ankle warmers that nobody calls spats but totally are).

Why Crochet Spats Deserve a Comeback

I know, I know — leg warmers can feel very "aerobics video from 1983." But hear me out. Modern crochet spats are different. They're:
  • Structured — not the slouchy tube socks of the 80s, but fitted pieces with buttons, lace, and intentional shaping
  • Versatile — wear them over ankle boots, under knee-highs, with flats, with heels
  • Surprisingly warm — that extra layer over your boots? Game changer in November
  • A conversation starter — I get stopped on the street wearing mine. No joke
And the best part? They're a fantastic stash-buster. That half-skein of wool blend you have no plans for? Perfect. Those vintage buttons you inherited from your aunt? Finally, a purpose.

The Styles You Can Make

1. Victorian Lace Spats

๐Ÿงถ Yarn tip: Use a smooth DK or worsted weight. Fuzzy yarns hide the stitch definition and the buttons won't hold as well.

2. Steampunk Ruffled Spats

Bigger ruffles, chunkier textures, brass or wooden buttons. These lean into the costume vibe without being full cosplay. The ruffled pair above is basically a Victorian collar for your ankles — dramatic, textural, and weirdly flattering with skinny jeans.
Best for: Festivals, themed weddings, or just Tuesdays when you need to feel like a time-traveling pirate.

3. Modern Boot Cuffs

Shorter, subtler, and infinitely wearable. These are the "gateway drug" of the spats world — just a few inches tall, peeking out from the top of your boots. Cable patterns, ribbed textures, simple lace. They add interest without screaming "I'm wearing a costume."
Best for: Literally everyone. These are your everyday spats.

4. Chunky Leg Warmers

The bold, oversized cousins of the family. Think thick yarn, bright colors, slouchy silhouettes. Not technically spats by historical definition, but they share the same DNA — that extra layer of crocheted warmth around your lower leg.
Best for: Cold commutes, cozy Sundays, making a statement.

How to Style Crochet Spats (Without Looking Like You're in a Play)

Here's where people get intimidated. They make a gorgeous pair of spats and then... panic about wearing them in public. I've been there. Here's what actually works:
With ankle boots + skinny jeans: Let the spats sit over the boot shaft, jeans tucked in. The contrast between structured leather and soft crochet is chef's kiss.
With ballet flats + a midi skirt: Channel full Victorian energy. The spats replace socks and add that "I made an effort" vibe to a simple outfit.
With combat boots + a dress: My personal favorite. The juxtaposition of tough boots and delicate crochet is unexpectedly cool. Add tights if it's cold.
With heels + leather pants: Going out? Yes, you can. The hot pink spats above prove it — unexpected, bold, and totally wearable.
The button-front styles above are especially versatile because you can adjust how snug or loose they sit. Wear them fully buttoned for a polished look, or leave the bottom few undone for a more relaxed drape.

The Pattern Situation

Okay, real talk: good spats patterns are surprisingly hard to find for free. Most free patterns online are either:
  • Too basic (literally a tube with no shaping)
  • Poorly written (no gauge, no sizing, good luck)
  • Designed for knitting, not crochet
After testing way too many duds, I now have a go-to approach: I adapt boot cuff patterns and extend them downward. Start with a proven boot cuff base, add length, shape the ankle curve, and finish with your preferred closure (buttons, ties, or elastic).
If you're a knitter and want something with that same structured, vintage-inspired energy, I recently came across this Dowager Faux Spats Leg Warmers.— it has that same attention to detail and classic silhouette that makes spats so special. The double brim technique is satisfying to master, and it pairs beautifully with crochet accessories if you do both crafts.

My Basic Crochet Spats Formula

Not ready to buy a pattern? Here's my Frankenstein method that actually works:
Materials:
  • ~100 yards worsted weight yarn
  • 4.5mm hook
  • 4–6 buttons
  • Tapestry needle
The gist:
  1. Cuff: Work a ribbed band (back loop only single crochet) that fits snugly around the narrowest part of your ankle. Mine is 28 rows for a 9-inch circumference.
  2. Leg: Switch to your main stitch (I like hdc for structure) and work even until you reach the top of your boot. This is usually 15–20 rows depending on boot height.
  3. Foot curve: Decrease gradually over 8–10 rows to follow the slope of your instep. This is the part most free patterns skip — and why homemade spats often look like tubes.
  4. Button band: Add a strip down the side with evenly spaced buttonholes. Or sew on snaps and add decorative buttons over them (my lazy-girl hack).
  5. Finishing: Block gently. Sew on buttons. Strut.
๐Ÿ’ก Pro tip: Make a paper template of your ankle/boot shape before you start. Trace your foot on a folded piece of paper, cut it out, and use it as a guide for shaping. Sounds extra, saves frogging.

Sizing (Because One Size Fits Nobody)

Table
SizeAnkle cuffLeg lengthFoot curve
XS (child)20 rows12 rows6 rows
S (teen/small adult)24 rows15 rows8 rows
M (average adult)28 rows18 rows10 rows
L (wide calf)32 rows20 rows10 rows
Measure your own ankle and calf. Spats need to be snug — loose spats slide down and look like sad socks.

When Things Go Wrong

Table
ProblemWhy it happenedFix
Slides downToo loose at cuffAdd elastic thread to the top row, or restart with fewer stitches
Gaps at buttonsButtonholes too bigUse smaller hook for buttonhole row, or switch to snaps
Bunches at ankleFoot curve too longRip back and shorten the decrease section
Looks like a tubeNo ankle shapingYou need that foot curve! Trust the template method

Where to Wear Them (Besides Your Living Room)

I get it — spats feel like a commitment. But I've worn mine to:
  • Coffee shops (with boot cuffs — subtle)
  • A friend's wedding (lace spats over heels — compliments all night)
  • The grocery store (chunky leg warmers with combat boots — zero regrets)
  • Zoom meetings (visible only from the knee down, but I knew)
The secret is matching the spats style to the venue. Boot cuffs for errands. Lace spats for events. Chunky warmers for anywhere cold.

What's Next? Building Your Victorian-Inspired Wardrobe

Once you've caught the spats bug, it's hard to stop. The natural progression is coordinating pieces — a lacy collar, fingerless mitts, a structured hat. That vintage aesthetic is incredibly cohesive when you build it piece by piece.
If you want to expand into headwear with the same structured, vintage vibe, check out this Dowager Faux Spats Leg Warmers.. The double brim gives it that substantial, almost Edwardian silhouette — like something a governess in a gothic novel would wear on her day off. It's become my go-to winter hat, and it pairs surprisingly well with crocheted accessories.

The Stash-Buster Math

Here's why I love spats from a practical standpoint. One pair uses approximately:
  • 80–120 yards of yarn
  • 4–6 buttons (harvested from old coats, found at thrift stores, or bought in bulk)
  • 2–3 hours of crochet time
That means one average skein of yarn = 3–4 pairs of spats. Add a $5 pack of vintage buttons from eBay and you've got handmade gifts for half your Christmas list.
I made six pairs last December — gray with black buttons for my sister, cream with pearls for my mom, burgundy with brass for myself. Packaged in kraft paper with a handwritten care tag. Total cost per gift? Under $4. Reaction? Priceless.

Final Thoughts: Why Spats, Why Now?

We're living in a weird fashion moment. Everything old is new again, but with a twist. Corsets are crop tops. Bustles are peplums. And spats? Spats are the perfect bridge between "I appreciate history" and "I need to leave my house looking put-together."
They're also deeply satisfying to make. Small enough to finish in a weekend. Complex enough to feel like a real project. And wearable enough that you'll actually use them.
So dig out that half-finished skein. Find those buttons you've been saving for "something special." This is that something.
๐ŸŽ One more thing: If you're making spats as gifts and want to pair them with something equally handmade and timeless, this
Dowager Faux Spats Leg Warmers.
makes a beautiful set. The structured brim echoes the fitted silhouette of spats perfectly — a coordinated gift that feels intentional and luxurious.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE: